Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween 2011

I will not be getting on my soapbox of why I despise this holiday so much on this blog post, but let it be known that, really, Halloween is a lame holiday... except for when you have a really cute little kid who gets to dress up like his idol, Curious George. Then, Halloween is fun, it's cute, and while it might not be worth it to pay $20 for an outfit he will only wear once, you do... because it's cute, and fun, and makes everyone smile... even the grumpy pregnant woman who usually despises this holiday. Now if only teenagers would stop coming to my door stealing all of my candy... but that's a soapbox for another day....

This year, my awesome mother in law picked out the Bub's outfit and did an exceptional job! WE LOVED IT!! And while the Bubster didn't love the hood, we are happy to report that he left it on the ENTIRE time when he was trick or treating. A Halloween miracle, for sure! We started off the festivities on the Friday before Halloween. Our ward had the classic Trunk or Treat/Chili Cook off activity. The Bubs enjoyed running amuck and having us chase him the whole time, which led to me being in massive pain and going home early while Brett took charge of the carnival booth that I was supposed to be in charge of. As I was sitting in the car waiting for Brett to bring our crock pot back, he informed me that he had just accepted the gift for the 1st place chili prize! Woot! I had made a brand new recipe and was afraid that no one was going to like it, and I took home first place :) It made the night totally worth it! A quick side note about our costume choice: I was supposed to be Brett's nerd date, but found out the night before the event that my big belly would not allow me to wear the costume that I had planned on. This resulted in a crazed, "find the pregnant lady something to wear!" search that ended with a pair of scrubs and my husband's stethoscope. Not super creative, but at least we found something, right??




A monkey, a nerd, and a PA... if only Brett and I had reversed our costumes, it would be a pretty accurate portrayal of our family :)
Brett and the Bubs


My crazy little monkey...


On Saturday, celebrations continued with the annual carving of the pumpkin. We had to do it right before Halloween, because with the heat, the pumpkin will only last about 2 days before it shrivels and dies... much like myself :) We thought it would be fun for the Bubster to be involved, so we stripped him down to his diaper and strapped him to his booster seat. After cutting into the pumpkin, we took some of the "guts" and put them in front of him, thinking that he would love to play with the slimy, gooey, mess. What were we thinking? He started crying hysterically and wanted NOTHING to do with the pumpkin guts. He wanted to get down and play with his ball popper. So off he went. Happy Halloween to him :)


This is me trying to coax him to come touch the pumpkin. As you can see... he was pretty hesitant. I love his little shoulder shrug that he does...


II'm not gonna touch the dang pumpkin, Mom and Dad!



Struggling to get AWAY from the scary pumpkin!



Well, maybe I'll take a peek... but just a little one.



Oh! The pumpkin is actually cute! I shall call him pumpkin and he shall be mine and he shall be my pumpkin!


Brett holding our sweet pumpkin!


Now the Bubs asks to see the pumpkin about 50 times a day... he is going to be one sad little boy when we have to throw it away!


On their way to go get some candy!


Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Nikki, it was great to read about all the new and exciting things that have been happening in your life. A real big person job, a house, a 2nd baby. . .all very fun. I read about your callings and laughed. . .those are the very exact same callings that Steve and I have. I am with you, being the chorister is fun-but lots of work! :)