Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm Wearing A Sweatshirt in Arizona?!?!?!

So, hooray, Brett just finished up his first quarter of classes on Thursday and now has a 10 day break! We can't believe how fast the time has flown by.... it's already been 10 weeks! So, to celebrate we decided to take a trip up to Flagstaff to get out of the heat and away from even looking at campus for a few days! So, here are some pictures from that fun experience! Also, I had a great surprise last Saturday. One of my previous students and her mom showed up at my doorstep! Kelsie Richards came to visit me, and she and her mom drove all the way from Goodyear to come. I was soooooo excited, and felt really good that one of my students would want to come visit!

We have learned a big lesson from our trip to Flagstaff. NEVER go to a hotel that doesn't have a continental breakfast included. We thought we were saving some big bucks by staying at a cheap motel (and were fooled into thinking it DID have a continental breakfast. We weren't aware that having coffee in the lobby until 10 am counted as a "breakfast.") So we had to go eat at the IHOP next door and spent WAY more money than we would have if we hadn't been so cheap with the motel. I mean seriously, what kind of establishment doesn't include shampoo in the rooms or an alarm clock? Yeah, that's how awesome our room was. But nevertheless, it was a great trip and we learned one more thing.... we will never live in Flagstaff. It has been stricken from the record of places to consider. It was the craziest layout of a town that we've ever seen, and the homeless population was about as big as the people who own homes. So, no thank you to that. Ahhh, the many lessons you can learn on a vacation!


Kelsie and me at my house!

My GINORMOUS pancakes that I had for breakfast. I have NEVER seen pancakes this big before in my life. I only made it through one... and that was a big undertaking!

Brett and I on a chair lift ride in Flagstaff. It was fun and COLD! Yes, we're both wearing sweatshirts in AUGUST in Arizona! WAHOO!

The pretty trees/dead trees of Flagstaff. It was really fun to see trees other than palm trees for once. We almost felt like we were back in Provo.....

My glamor (I feel that this word is spelled differently, but spellcheck said I was wrong....) shot of the trip. This is me at the top of the mountain, before I had to sit down because I felt like I was going to pass out. Note to self-- high elevation= not a lot of oxygen. Not a lot of oxygen= not a happy Nikki. It was so fun to be wearing a sweatshirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, that's how high we were!

The view on the way down the chair lift. So pretty!

7 comments:

Bethany, Scott, and family said...

Yeah, I wish I could wear more sweatshirts too! Too hot in South Carolina too . . . it's probably the figure skater in us, love the cold too much :-)

Christine and Nick said...

yea, Flagstaff isn't the best vacationing spot... :) I have only gone there for stuff at NAU. You guys should check out Prescott or Payson, one of those is a big tourist spot and has lots of easy hiking and shops and such. I have never been to either though, so I can't remember which one it is. Will you guys be there at Christmas time so we can come visit you and your new baby?!?!

Anonymous said...

Both of my parents are from Flagstaff! It feels so nice there compared to Phoenix/Mesa area. You are looking so cute! I can't wait to see your little one!

Rach said...

Hey!!! wow, sweatshirt in arizona? Crazy awesome!!!! I also have something i need to send you so i need your address you can email it to me or something...let me know! Thanks!!! You are so cute preggers!!!

Melissa said...

I laughed my head off about the motel. Glad you're thriftily enjoying the vacation! :)

Kevin and Ashlee said...

I'm jealous about the sweatshirt thing. Hey do you still have my red hoodie that you stole from me forever ago??? You're such a thief. How do you live with yourself? By the way...GLAMOUR. Love you and miss you.

~twilightfan~ said...

Hey Mrs.Waite! Those pancakes look DELICIOUS. Wish I could be there with ya!